Chomsky and Hero Worship

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Sun Oct 11 11:00:40 PDT 1998

> >Anyone who thinks "welfare has ended" hasn't
> >the faintest idea what the government is and
> >isn't doing.
> >
> >No offense to PK, but the next time I see
> >this I swear I'm going to write something
> >for In These Times or some damn left
> >organ.
>
> No offense taken, especially since you owe me one since I called you
> Rumplestillskin even though I meant Rip Van Winkle in reference to your
> desire to be woken up when the crash occurs. So far, you've been proven
> right. As far as welfare goes, what do you think the numbers
> are? I talked
> to a non-radical social worker - on the front line so to speak - recently
> here in Chicago and she is worried.

Let me say there is crashing enough in Asia and imminently, South America, everywhere but where it would crucially transform politics.

As for numbers, get the paper on the Urban Institute web site by Eugene Steuerle and somebody else which lays them out, complete with graphs. It's free.

Being worried about the future is another thing altogether. One would be stupid not to be worried, but that to me is different than believing the nonsense that there is no welfare system.

Cheers,

MBS