Jameson & Becker

christian a. gregory driver at nervm.nerdc.ufl.edu
Mon Oct 19 19:04:49 PDT 1998

the passage that doug quotes from anderson's book confirms something that has long bothered me about jameson's work--though i still find it, for the most part, interesting and provocative at nearly every turn. namely, it doesn't seem to me that the either the policies of the state *nor* the aesthetic that accrues to it enter into his work. so, as chuck said, there doesn't even seem to be a place for defining anything *other* than a cultural politics. there's no civic realm so-called, no political economy per se, only an interesting but fiercely hegelian resolution of everything into signification. which is not necessarily bad--nor, untrue, in the last instance--however, and apposite to what doug said, it seems important to distinguish the rhetoric (or the signification) of the end of the welfare state, for example, from its realities. that's important not only to make the kind of policy arguments that max wants to make (re: public investment), but also because that rhetoric also justifies a certain kind of aesthetic--ie. the apocalyptic conspiracy narrative (x-files, millennium, *interface* [an interesting novel] etc.).

enough.

hugs, christian

"It is the world that is excessive . . ." --Jean Baudrillard