gay bashing and class

Frances Bolton (PHI) fbolton at chuma.cas.usf.edu
Tue Oct 20 09:05:43 PDT 1998

On Tue, 20 Oct 1998 Meredith_Glueck at edf.org wrote:

> i wasn't at the funeral-actually, i haven't heard anything about the
> funeral-perhaps that's good cuz the family rightfully wanted some
> privacy-But yeah, i did hear there was going to be a group of anti-gay
> protesters who were still going to protest--kind of sick-

The funeral was covered in our local paper. there was a photo on the front page of a guy carrying a sign that said "AIDS cures fags." There were more than a thousand people there, and maybe a couple of dozen of those awful people from Westboro Baptist Church. People attending the funeral stood in front of the Westboro folks, singing Amazing Grace and holding open umbrellas. they did this to hide the Westboro people from the Shepard family. That day, the letters to the editor included one from the christian coalition, deploring the murder, and intolerance in general. They must be scared.

frances