gay bashing and class

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Oct 20 10:39:58 PDT 1998

Meredith_Glueck at edf.org wrote:

>when talking about the 2 guys who killed Matt Shepard, i really wonder if
>there is all that much that differentiates them from alot of other people
>who are prejudiced, there are plenty of people capable of doing this-i
>don't know if a class based argument would really be valid-

There's something there, I think, at least for men, as a psychological defense against marginalization. "I may be a lowlife but at least I'm not a queer." I read somewhere recently that some anticolonial discourse played with a colonization = ravishment trope, that the colonized man was somehow feminized (and no, that is not a, um, backdoor apology for imperialism). I don't know what to make of this, does anyone else?

Doug