Alex Cockburn

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Fri Sep 18 08:52:02 PDT 1998

>re: Max calling Cockburn a Trotskyist, that certainly ain't the case.
There's an old column Christopher Hitchens did called "Is Alex Cockburn a Stalinist?" or something like that. I'll see if I can't dig it up from InfroTrac.>

N.B. For me the term is not a pejorative, but merely descriptive. My impression was that AC was part of the New Left Review crowd in the U.K., and NLR could certainly not be Stalinist or Maoist, having published Mandel among others. I'm happy to be corrected on this, assuming AC does have some relatively well-specified ideological affinity to begin with.

MBS