CPI Shaving?

John K. Taber jktaber at onramp.net
Tue Sep 22 05:16:40 PDT 1998

Tom Lehman wrote:

> Dear Jim,
>
> I think The Nation is referring to US Savings Bonds being given some inflation
> protection to encourage small savers to buy them.

Nuh-uh, not savings bonds. These are the new fangled inflation-indexed treasury notes, where the interest paid goes up or down with inflation, as measured by the CPI. They are fully liquid (buy and sell from a broker at any time). Savings Bonds are non-marketable.

-- Those are my principles, and if you don't like them, I have others.

--Groucho Marx