Pedantic point on slavery

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Mon Sep 28 00:57:11 PDT 1998

> 6. List's opposition to slavery does not help clarify what he meant when
> he approved miscegenation with blacks only of the 4th or 5th generation.
> As I pointed out this was not taboo in the American South.

I've been letting this slide since it seemed outside the main argument, but now that it's been hanging on and getting rehashed, I feel compelled to point out that it isn't really true. Several southern states, including Alabama, Georgia, and Tennessee, abided by the "one-drop" as late the 1950's. Intermarriage was thus forbidden to the nth generation in those states.

Michael