genocide

S Pawlett epawlett at uniserve.com
Mon Apr 12 23:23:05 PDT 1999

> Whenever I raise the role of the Allies in defeating Hitler et al., people
> seem to want to change the subject, or talk about how capitalism helped
> Hitler rise, upbraid me for raising the Nazi bogeyman, or deny that the
> motives of the Allied nations had any humanitarian basis, some of which is
> true in one sense or another, but all of which is beside the point. It's
> all a distraction from distinctions between evils, on which political
> choices are based. The logical basis of pacifism or revolutionary defeatism
> for opposing NATO in the Balkans is equally applicable to Roosevelt's
> decision to aid Britain against Hitler. They fail the Hitler Test.

This assumes that the Serbian Government = Hitler. Noone has come even remotely close to establishing that. The "Hitler test" is an argument by analogy. In logic, arguments by analogy are never valid i.e. if the premises are true the conclusion does not necessarily follow.

Also, why self-determination for Kosovo and not autonomy like it had under Tito? Not all Kosovo Albanians support independance. These people have been threatened and in some instances been killed by the KLA. There is also the question of the Serb minority in Kosovo.

Some have argued on this list, that because there is supposedly no evidence of the political nature of the KLA, the KLA should be armed by NATO. This is an argument against arming the KLA. Would you give a gun to a complete stranger knowing that he is going to use the gun but you don't know who on?

Sam Pawlett

Long Live NATO! No to Peaceful Negotiation of Conflicts! Long Live the B-2 bomber and Cruise Missiles!