Race & Murder

Mark Rickling rickling at netzero.net
Sun Apr 25 23:08:24 PDT 1999

EmaChissit at cs.com wrote:

>This all MAY be true. But where is evidence that this is what they
believed?
> Where is your evidence that racism was THE primary motive for this shooting
>spree? How was it that racist concepts drove the action? How can you
ignore
>all the other evidence that suggests that racism was a factor, but surely
not
>the ONLY thing that "drove the action"?

Can you refer me to the exact passage in which someone either implicitly or explicitly states that race was *the only* factor leading to the Columbine shootings, *to the exclusion of all other explanations*? I certainly didn't read this in the post to which you are responding, or any other post. Perhaps I missed something. What I am hearing, however, is an argument over the relative salience of race.

It seems to me that the repeated confusion of "race is an important factor" with "race is *the only* issue" is symptomatic of a larger problem many have of coming to grips with racism and the manner in which racial divisions operate in our society.

mark