The People's Right to Bear Arms

jf noonan jfn1 at msc.com
Mon Apr 26 07:13:16 PDT 1999

On Fri, 23 Apr 1999, Jordan Hayes wrote:

> Do you think it's possible on this list for people to know one thing
> about guns before they present themselves in this way? Just one
> thing? I know it's difficult, because it's so tempting to just spout,
> but please: learn just one thing today. Ready?
>
> AUTOMATIC WEAPONS HAVE BEEN MOSTLY ILLEGAL AND HARD TO GET IN THE US
> SINCE THE 1930's.

The last time I checked there was little more to getting a federal firearms dealer license than paying $500 and having no felony record. With such a license you can own fully automatic firearms, perfectly legally. There's a machinist at the other end of the building where I am typing this who has such a license and has such weapons.

Further, it is an open secret that the "civilian" semi-automatic versions of military weapons like the M-16 can be, (and are) converted to fully automatic without much trouble.

Go get yourself a copy of Soldier of Fortune and read up!

Joseph Noonan jfn1 at msc.com

If I can't dance, I don't want to be part of your revolution.

-Emma Goldman