Albania: the real story

Elias.Karagiannis at spg.org Elias.Karagiannis at spg.org
Mon Aug 9 21:41:51 PDT 1999

Jim wrote:

>I agree with Johannes' qualms about these kind of reports on Albanians.
>I always tried to avoid the 'drug-dealing' Albanians stuff, that was all
>generated by the military campaign to dominate the whole of the Balkans.

There have been a number of articles in Le Monde Diplomatique on the connection between KLA and drug dealings. The article of the german newspaper is nothing new. Perhaps, the german newspaper knows more about KLA and drugs since, according to the June issue of Le Monde, the secret services of Germany were supplying arms and other materials to KLA. It says nothing about drugs and german secret services but who knows. Avoiding the connection between drug dealing and KLA does not help understand the true nature of the aggression against Yugoslavia. One issue

of the aggression is how a bunch of drug dealers became a "liberation army of the oppressed" that was supported by the other mafia, NATO. A lot of people on the left thought and still think of KLA as a peoples army thanks to the PR campaign of NATO. Very few knew the connection between drugs and KLA and in my opinion, part of the current problems between NATO and KLA is that part of the KLA thinks that the NATO win gave them a free hand to deliver cocaine throughout Europe. Michel Chossudovsky of Ottawa University has written a number of articles on the connection between KLA and drug dealings, some of which are on the net. Are all Albanias drug dealers? Of course not and nobody has ever suggested that not even the articles of Le Monde and Der Speigel. It is like asking " are all Serbs ethnic cleansers" as the press has indicated for so long without anybody ever raising a eye brow ? Of course not.

I would like to ask Elena about the situation of the Turkish/Moslem minority in Bulgaria and the impact of war on its treatment? Any thoughts Elena?

elias