New York Musicians Need Your Help Dec. 02

J Schaffner jschaffner at igc.org
Wed Dec 1 22:18:36 PST 1999

Dear Friend, Local 802 (Musicians Union in New York) needs your help. Our members at the New York City Ballet are locked out. We have said that we would work and play the Nutcracker during the holiday season, but while management raises the issues of the artistic quality of the orchestra, they have refused to let the 70 musicians perform, and instead are using taped music. Management has demanded an attendance plan that would make it impossible for free-lance musicians in New York to earn a living and work for the City Ballet.

You can help:

1. If you live in New York, join our demonstration and rally tomorrow (Thursday, Dec. 2) 4:45 - 6:00 at Lincoln Center (63rd & Columbus). Tell your friends and co-workers.

2. Call Ballet General Manager Anne Parson at (212) 870-5653 and ask her to let the orchestra play.

Below is a message from the Orchestra Committee and a detailed message that is being emailed to other members of Local 802 who work in other venues. For more detailed information call Bill Dennison at Local 802 (212) 245-4802, ext. 102.

Many thanks, Sincerely, Jay Schaffner, Assistant Supervisor, National Contracts Department, Local 802

Your help and support is greatly appreciated ================================

*** LOCKED OUT MUSICIANS NEED YOUR HELP! ***

Dear Supporter:

We are asking for your help with our fight at the New York City Ballet.

Management has locked us out!

We have offered to negotiate while we play, but management has said no. Instead, it has presented the annual performance of the Nutcracker with TAPED MUSIC!

If you live in New York, please join us for a large picket line this Thursday, December 2, between 5 and 6 p.m. in front of the State Theater at Lincoln Center, 63rd St. and Columbus Ave.

We urge all supporters to join us on the picket line. Let's show management that it can't get away with locking us out during this holiday season!

In solidarity,

New York City Ballet Orchestra Committee, and Local 802, American Federation of Musicians

As you probably know by now, the New York City Ballet has locked out about 70 of your fellow musicians and is presenting “The Nutcracker” at Lincoln Center with taped music. Ballet management has been telling people they’re doing this because the musicians won’t accept attendance requirements. That’s not true. Management demanded an attendance plan we couldn’t live with, we’ve presented alternatives and they keep rejecting them.

We are willing to take up our instruments and play The Nutcracker while we work this out. But the Ballet won’t take “yes” for an answer. Seemingly, they won’t be satisfied until they bully us into completely accepting their terms. We can’t do that. The Ballet is not a full time job. To make a living in New York City, we need a degree of flexibility do some teaching and performing outside the Ballet.

We are not miles apart, and we are hopeful that the Ballet management will come to their senses, but they’ll do so only if all Local 802 members demonstrate their support. Remember tape at Lincoln Center could lead to

tape on Broadway and who knows where else. We have to stick together.

What you can do:

1. Come to the picket line on Thursday Dec. 2 at the State Theater at Lincoln Center, 63rd and Columbus, 4:45-6 pm. There will be music, speakers and supporters from the broader labor movement. 2. Call Ballet General Manager Anne Parsons at 212/870-5653 and ask her to let the orchestra play.

For more information, call Bill Dennison at Local 802, 212/245-4802, ext. 102.