anarchism

rc-am rcollins at netlink.com.au
Mon Dec 6 07:29:04 PST 1999

chucko wrote:

>Do I sense some jealousy here?<

funny, that's exactly what i was thinking. and, 'flat-footed' is an understatement. so, here's my tirade for the week.

i think i detect a pattern here: failing any connection with real movement -- which of course can be explained away by the theory of false consciousness -- we're treated to a blistering 'critique' in the name of saving all those kids who are being led astray from the one, true politics. first, we have those nasty pomos. now, perhaps, we'll have those undemocratic anarchists. that is to say, it's always configured as a battle for leadership of a dumb mass.

then again, we could always pretend it has to do with various economic indicators, as if there hasn't been years of hard work and debate that have gone into producing an action such as the anti-wto and j18 protests. this too suggests a distance from any real movement...

i, for one, welcome the tactical and political diversity. without that, movement becomes ossified. this movement will confront its own limits, but i trust people who are involved in those movements to have the courage to face them as much as they had the courage refuse the objectivism and ignore the peddling of redundant subjectivities by those who now moan about those undemocratic anarchists, the lack of leadership, coherence, etc. without our anarchist friends, the organisational principles bequeathed to us by way of anarchism such as 'affinity groups', the tactical and political diversity, and so on, 'seattle' would not have been possible, nor would june 18th have been possible.

next stop mayday 2k.

Angela _________