Fw: NYC MAYDAY 2K

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Dec 9 09:10:46 PST 1999

Carl Remick wrote:

>>Logisitically NYC makes a lot of sense.
>>
>>A) Very high Union Density
>>B) High Student Density
>>C) Strong Activist Community
>>

>>Very high Rudy density too. The unions would not
>>support a "May Day" thing. It would be a radical
>>show, and Rudy would crush it with glee.
>>
>>Fighting is good, but you want to pick fights
>>that can be won.
>
>Agreed, it's extremely unwise to underestimate that strutting son of
>a bitch Giuliani. OTOH, it's not a good idea to *overrate* his
>clout, either. Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I believe Rudy's
>man-on-a-white-horse act is getting stale. E.g., IMO, his latest
>attempt to criminalize the homeless isn't playing too well around
>town. I persist in believing that NYC is a city that, at some
>level, has an instinctual preference for the underdog, and I think
>that spirit can be appealed to successfully if demonstrators are
>skillful enough.

That aside, what's a protest movement to do? Find another city hindered by liberal guilt? After last week, there probably aren't too many of those left. Give up because Rudy & his ilk will crush you?

The fact that the NYC unions are so awful - and most of them are - would be great opportunity for some of their dissidents to join in the demo. And it'd be a great place to bring some nonwhite faces into the mix.

Doug