Seattle on Pacifica

John Halle john.halle at yale.edu
Mon Dec 13 17:42:54 PST 1999

> Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 17:48:15 -0500
> From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
> Subject: Re: Seattle on Pacifica
>

> Problem is that any programming shift emerging from the national
> Pacifica authorities is likely to be ratings- and fundraising-driven,

The national programming which Pacifica has sponsored so far-Democracy Now, Larry Bensky's Living Room (when it was on), even Jerry Brown, has not appeared to be crudely or fundraising ratings driven. They could have given some health loony like Null a national show, but they haven't, at least not so far.

> which means more health quackery like Gary Null (now also a PBS
> fundraising star too).

I agree the guy's a menace and I'm happy to see that he's doing his part to strip away the last remaing shreds of credibility from PBS.

The interesting question is why these characters (he's not the only one, alas) find a home in "progressive" circles. I don't want to rehash the science/ideology wars here. But my impression is that Null's sort of "quackery" is, if not promoted by, at least winked at by the social constructionist crew which is, according to its practitioners at least, synonymous with radicalism. I seem to remember that Stanley Aronowitz, for example, shares Null's rejection of the AIDS/HIV "hypothesis."

In any case, its hard to know what quackery means within a socially constructed science.

John