Who Owns the Movement?

Chuck0 chuck at tao.ca
Wed Dec 15 07:13:12 PST 1999

Carrol Cox wrote:

> How so? I am no admirer of either Albert or Z magazine, and I
> have certainly had my quarrels with Angela, but they are asking
> a serious question, and your response will not do. The anti-war
> coalition of the '60s was pretty much smashed six months before
> Cambodia and Kent State primarily by types (the Weatherman
> faction of SDS) who behaved very much like the Eugenians.
> Had the coalition held together it is possible that hundreds of
> thousands of lives might have been saved and Vietnam spared
> several years of savage bombing. I do not see the comedy.

You are making an inaccurate analogy, as did Albert. He sees a movement, when it was actually a decentralized network, based primarily on the Internet, that made N30 happen around the world. There is no movement, in the traditional sense.

And smashing a few windows is a far cry from what the Weather Underground was doing. Weren't they on the run from the law? Weren't the Eugene anarchists on network television last night?

Carrol, if you could think outside of your box for a minute, this might make sense to you. Start be reading all of Doug's reports from Seattle. Then check out my archives on June 18th <http://www.infoshop.org/june18.html> and November 30 <http://www.infoshop.org/no2wto.html>. I suggest you also read up on Reclaim the Streets and Earth First. The paradigm of direct action in North America has been changing in the past few years; Seattle was just the first time it became apparent to large groups of people.

-- Chuck0

Mid-Atlantic Infoshop http://www.infoshop.org/

Leonard Peltier Freedom Month Executive Clemency For Peltier! http://www.freepeltier.org/lpfreedommonth.html

Free Mumia Abu-Jamal Now! http://www.infoshop.org/gulag/mumia_idx.html

"A society is a healthy society only to the degree that it exhibits anarchistic traits."

- Jens Bjørneboe