Sierra Club On It's WTO Activities

rc-am rcollins at netlink.com.au
Sat Dec 18 08:59:49 PST 1999

patrick wrote:

> Agreed, but Chip, don't Krebbers, Schoenmaker and their group
> throw the baby out with the bathwater? My understanding is that
> they have backed off all work on trade because of this danger;
> that's kind of pathetic, isn't it? Or Angela, you've got a different
> view?

De Fabel van de Illegaal (Krebbers et al) have been criticised for ceding this terrain to the right. but, paradoxically, what has in fact happened is that De Fabel have been able to place many of these issues on the agenda in a much more forceful way than most others who still consider themselves to be a part of this terrain have been able or willing to accomplish. ie., if they really had in fact ceded this to the right, they would not be spending their time (time i regard as well spent and remain appreciative of) doing the work they have done since to track the connections and financing of right wing organisations within the anti-globalisation campaigns and the meaning of anti-globalisation itself.

in that sense, they're certainly still active participants in what we might call a 'globalisation from below'.

Angela _________