state & markets

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Sat Dec 18 10:51:18 PST 1999

yoshie wrote:

> OK, Angela, I disagree with Nathan, too, but what do you say to Max or
Wojtek?

you want me to explain anarchism to max? i'm sure chucko, for instance, would be more interested in doing so, but maybe he's already tried. i

No need to explain. I was an anarchist. The hours were good but the pay was low.

I told you all I luv anarchists. In fact, I've often been told that I *AM* an anarchist, since I disagree with everyone. Naturally I took issue with that.

I like Chomsky's idea that anarchism is devoted to weakening and destroying oppressive, centralized structures. Which I'm all for. But.

Problem one is you can have decentralized oppressive structures, which to some extent can be fortified by a vacuum of state power.

Problem two is, from an economic standpoint, anarchism is utterly impractical when it comes to providing essential social goods. To redistribute from, say, LA County to the border area of the Rio Grande, you need a national government.

So anarchism doesn't work in terms of how force is used in society, or how wealth is distributed.

Problem three . . .

Any time Chucko likes, he can come by and I'll buy him a beer. Or we'll go to Filene's and I'll get him a pair of socks. Whichever he needs more.

mbs