chasing amy

Nathan Newman nathan.newman at yale.edu
Wed Feb 10 05:30:03 PST 1999

-----Original Message----- From: d-m-c at worldnet.att.net <d-m-c at worldnet.att.net> To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com>

Nathan writes:

>Aside from the subtler complications, there were some parts of the movie I
>just found hilarious. My favorite was the gay black character pimping Black
>Nationalist Gangster attitude off on credulous white comic book consumers.

-emasculating the guy and no longer a threat. In other words, he's just -acting like this because he really wants what whitey's got, to be part of -the system.

Being gay is emasculation? Come on. It was more a commentary on the whole merchadising of black thuggery to white consumers. These are arty types living on the margins, not investment bankers. Sure everyone's part of the system at some point, but a lot of folks are just trying to pay the bills. And one of the points was how hard being black, male and gay really is, since the gay subculture is not necessarily that hospitable to blacks and the black culture is not very comfortable for gays.

He actually came off in my mind as one of the most thoughtful and together characters in the movie.

--Nathan