More proof that Buffy Rules

Liza Featherstone lfeather32 at erols.com
Tue Jan 5 03:54:52 PST 1999

well, it makes sense that both ITT and TWS woiuld love Buffy -- the test of any really well-crafted mass culture product is how open-ended its ideological content is, how many meanings can be grafted onto it. BUT I must also say that Buffy is my favorite TV show and I think one of many refreshing things about it is what Paul is pointing to, the idea that saving human lives is a worthwhile enterprise, and a dogmatic moralism emphatically does Not need to be part of that project. I saw the episode with the evil Christians pretending to save kids and it was hilarious.The whole drama of Buffy's boyfriend being a vampire who is sometimes good, and the way everyone has to wrestle with the whole question of whether he is worth saving, adds richly to the moral ambiguity. I also love how the "bad" guys help her out when its in their own interest. the show also beautifully spoofs the preachiness of the whole social-issue-oriented after-school special genre (a dating violence episode in which all the boyfriends are literally undead monsters, and many useless platitudes about self-esteem ring amusingly hollow).