Beyond The Politics of Cancer Alone

pms laflame at mindspring.com
Sat Jan 30 00:03:21 PST 1999

At 02:10 PM 1/29/99 -0800, you wrote:
>Bill,
>
>I misunderstood you. I thought you were saying that personal choices are
>absolutely insignificant, not even worth considering. But, I'm all for
>acting on a collective scale. I'm not satisfied, for example, to see that
>only a small minority of people appreciate the importance of wholesome,
>clean food. If I had any influence in a political party, I would like it to
>be in the dietary department - you could call it that to make it
>respectable, but really I'm talking about the kitchen. I sometimes wonder if
>the most important important thing a political party can do might be to feed
>people good, wholesome food. On a regular basis. (The Black Panthers
>understood that, of course.) You'll think I'm crazy, I know. Most people
>think ideology is more important. But, what can I do? It's been my
>experience that even Marxists can't think straight when they're on an
>American diet. And, in my experience, they usually are. Overall, what
>Marxists need most is a lot more fresh greens. And fiber.
>
>Quincy

Daniel,

Reading this I thought of watching Ralph Nader, with his mom, on Phil Donahue, talking about eating good food. Apparently Mrs. Nader was in the vanguard, foodwise. Ralph grew up eating healthy food. It drove me crazy that he wasn't making little political comments, asides, while doing this food thing. Phil's audience loved him, and he could have made some impressions. But I guess that's my style, not his. To this day, I only drink 1% or skim milk because of that show. I remember Ralph saying 2% was just about as bad as whole milk, and darned if the label doesn't prove dearest Ralph right.

I myself have been incredibly proud of the fresh veg, and especially fruit I now consume. Fruit's hard to keep up with. I used to end up throwing it all away, cause I never ate it, and now I have to time ripening so I always have variety for my breakfast fruit plate. I eat it while I'm setting up for lunch, so I won't start the day with pizza.

If I get depressed my food habits revert back, actually they're even worse than before I started paying attention. Not too often, though. And when I was buying the house I became addicted to Nutrageous Bars. Relatively harmless in my life's text.

Victim of Desire-p