Kosovo compromise

rc-am rcollins at netlink.com.au
Sat Jun 5 22:41:18 PDT 1999

michael wrote:

>I do not know what they are thinking, but my guess would be that they
have sent out a powerful message that nobody should dare to challenge them in any way.<

michael, who are 'them'?

max wrote:

>There's evidence the IMF was stepping all over Serbia. But is

>there evidence that Milo's regime was putting up some kind of

>resistance?

not really, but there was evidence that something drastic was required *internally* in order to make it possible for the IMF conditions to be met. I've cited this before, but I do so again to highlight a slightly different point here. from the "Milosovic Commission" report from May 1988: "Yugoslavia must be a unified economic area where identical system-related solutions exists and where products and services, money and capital, people and knowledge move freely". (Source: Lenard J. Cohen, "Broken Bonds: Yugoslavia's Disintegration and Balkan Politics in Transition".)

here is the meaning of the revocation of the autonomy of Kosovo. and since there is now less prospect of there existing, or even emerging in the immediate future, a Balkan-wide opposition to the IMF, it looks like the war hasn't quite finished. the attempts to shift the burden of IMF austerity to state prescribed 'others' and indeed to enhance the competition between regions is going to entail continuing violence in some form or other. I think Montenegro may well move toward separation soon. it seems then that prospects for opposition to the IMF are more likely to emerge in places like Italy and Greece.

Angela --- rcollins at netlink.com.au