Comparing Mao to Hitler

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Mon Jun 7 00:24:06 PDT 1999

Chris Burford wrote:

> I sense however the question is more fundamental than respect for Mao,
since it
> is not controversial that Mao made major errors. It is a question of
respect for
> the Chinese people.

This is the reason I suggested the Max and Delong sophmoric ridicule of my serious reponse the decision making process in Chinese mass movenments racist. They find lampooning communist rhetoric funny and used it to refute a serious staement. Western rhetoric on free market merits and the virtues of "democracy" sound equally illogical to progressive Asians, yet we don't lampoon it because we don't enjoy racist humor.

Yo, Chris --

Where in the wide world of sports did you get the idea that Mr. Henry C.K. Liu had been appointed arbiter of who commanded respect from the rather numerous Chinese people? Don't you imagine quite a few Chinese people of good will think Mao was a bag of shit? Or that those associated with the present democracy movement have a different view of the current regime than our Stalinist billion-dollar fund manager?

Speaking for myself, rather than the capitalist roader DeLong, I'd just like to point out that Mr. Henry C.K. Liu reacts to criticism by branding the source as racist and claiming it is directed at the suffering masses of the world, rather than his own sorry, lyin' ass.

mbs