Death Penalty

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Mar 1 10:19:21 PST 1999

Carl Remick wrote:

> Re Max's: "I wouldn't say all
> murder should be punishable by death, but some should be, as far
> as I'm concerned."
>
> I am opposed to capital punishing, but the killing of James Byrd so
> sickened me that I thought this might be one instance where the death
> penalty would be a good idea.

See Peter Linebaugh's magnificent article some years ago in NLR on the death penalty. (I can't put my hand on the exact issue now, but the title was something like "Gravel ? at the Buckle of the Bible Belt." He quotes Shelley as saying that the struggle against the death penalty was an essential component of any struggle for human emancipation. I would agree with Shelley, et al.

Carrol