Post Oskar Scenario

Johannes Schneider Johannes.Schneider at gmx.net
Thu Mar 18 02:54:28 PST 1999

Dennis R Redmond wrote

>On Tue, 16 Mar 1999, Doug Henwood wrote:
>
>> So have all those things people have said about the Greens representing a
>> petit bourgeois/upper middle class milieu turned out to be true?
>
>Not in the slightest. Occasionally Green spokespeople like to provoke the
>press is all.
Dennis, you are defending a lost cause. According to you all what the Greens are doing is just a provocation of the press. In my eyes its a provocation of the left-wingers who still put any hopes in them. Lets only look at the course of events of this week: Monday: Christine Scheel calls for a corporate tax rate of 23%. (Instead of 40%). Tuesday: A group of Green MPs are calling for even more tax reductions for business. Arguing that the Greens may not be the 'left' wing of government, thus saying they should be the right wing. Wednesday: Trittin argues the position of the Greens is right between the SPD and the CDU. Actually a lot of Greens have argued like that before, but they all came from the right wing of the party. Now even the left-winger Trittin is saying so! If you will check the websites of the German papers you will find out that the Greens now are at the right of the SPD. When it comes to the tax reductions you forget to mention, that the prices for energy are going to rise considerably on April first. As a result prices for public transport will rise as well making the usage of it even more unattractive. Its hilarious calling such a tax rise 'ecological' Johannes