Farewell to Oskar

Carl Remick cremick at rlmnet.com
Thu Mar 18 06:22:12 PST 1999

That's not what you said, Brad. Your quote of Chomsky and reply ran as follows:

> [Chomsky:] On March 11, Oskar Lafontaine resigned his position as
> German Finance
> > Minister and chair of the Social Democratic Party (SPD). His
> >resignation
> > elicited "euphoria" in "jubilant" financial markets,
> editorial offices,
> > and news rooms.[1]
>
> [De Long:] As best as I can see, the "newsrooms" and "editorial
offices"
> part of this
> sentence is false. Moreover, the jubilation in financial markets was
> limited to Europe. The people on Wall Street I talk to were
> not pleased:

The editorial page of the Wall Street Journal may be filled with "extremely strange people" but they certainly don't want for company in the Wall Street community. *My* experience in working with Wall Streeters leads me to believe that the WSJ editorial page is an accurate index of their innermost -- well, "thoughts" connotes too much intellection ... let's just say "impulses."

Carl Remick