foodstuffs

Rob Schaap rws at comserver.canberra.edu.au
Sun Mar 21 19:40:27 PST 1999

G'day Kelley,

>where in hell is canberra anyway rob. oh i could surf and find out. but
>do tell.... punishment for my ethnocentrism'

It's a high-modernist waste of a good sheep paddock about two thirds of the way to Sydney from Melbourne (er, imagine the bottom right-hand bit of the map - just above that triangular island - oh, lustrous Tasmania, how I love thee...). We're three hours from the coast, and it's bloody hot in summer, and fucking cold in winter. The architecture is impersonal and people-separating (it currently separates around 350 000 people). There are no pubs worthy of the name, just large barns where people go to catch STDs. The trees are beautiful, especially as Autumn comes. Lots of kangaroos about at the moment.

And lots and lots of Homo Armanirolexicus, on the consultancy trail in this age of outsourcing IT, strategic information, executive discretion and dignity.

And it's our national capital ferchrissakes! You should know where it is! I know your capital right down to the room in which your president plays with his cigars and underlings!

Bloody cultural imperialism, I reckon ... fume, twitch, moan, splutter.

Love, Rob.