body count

Seth Ackerman SAckerman at FAIR.org
Thu May 13 15:24:16 PDT 1999

Barkley,

Where did you see the city-by-city breakdown?

The official U.S. government number is around 4,600. This is on the State Dept.'s website and was given out by the Pentagon at a press briefing on the Chinese Embassy bombing, to remind reporters that the Serbs are nasty, too.

If the administration is jacking the figure up to 10,000 for the Post, I'd be interested to know if this was on background or attributed. I doubt that there is some genuine higher number out there that the U.S. is hesitating to publicize.

In the interest of not sounding like an apologist, let me say that I don't apologize for the Milosevic regime. However, my suspicion is that we will sooner or later find out that some of the wilder accounts of the scale of Serb atrocities in Kosovo have been exaggerated, just as the Germans' exploits in Belgium were exaggerated in WW1 for the same purposes. I also don't apologize for the Kaiser's regime.

Cheers,

Seth