litcritter bashing...)

Steve Perry sperry at usinternet.com
Mon Nov 1 07:50:22 PST 1999

Jim wrote:
>since people like
>Kissinger or McNamara have much power on their side
>than do people like Kolko or Chomsky why shouldn't the
>perspectives of a Kissinger or a McNamara prevail over
>those of a Chomsky or a McNamara? I don't think it
>is all that surprising that Chomsky is one of the staunchest
>critics of pomo around. He realizes whats at stake if we abandon
>the distinction between science and ideology or truth
>and ideology since it is radicals that are going to inevitably
>suffer the consequences because the ruling elites have
>the means to "privelege" their perpsectives over those
>of anyone else.

Pree-cisely. Which evokes the question of speech codes and hate speech proscriptions; I have always wondered how it is that the pomo-istas--well, that term seems to chafe, so call them the linguistic left--fail to see that speech codes could, by an easy rhetorical flourish, be turned to proscriptions of "hate speech" against those ruling elites jim mentions.