Henwood vs. Cockburn

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Nov 11 07:13:22 PST 1999

Carl Remick wrote:

>Ah, so what about A.C.'s most damning accusation (ROTFL) that you
>yourself have indulged in a.h. assaults and once actually referred
>to the celebrated Alan Greenspan as the "foul-breathed" chairman of
>the Fed? I myself would simply question the accuracy of your
>characterization. Seems to me it would be Paul Volcker who would
>best qualify as "foul-breathed" Fed chairman -- all those cigars,
>you know.

Yes, I have referred to Greenspan's foul breath, which I picked up from Michael Lewis' profile of the great man in Worth magazine a few years ago. Word is that it's impossible to get closer than 10 paces to him.

As for his assertion that I was afraid to get out of the car in the Pacific Northwest, I have no idea what he's talking about. I got right out of the car and walked into Jeff St Clair's house when I visited Portland in 1997, with no fear of my shadow or armed white separatists.

Cockburn's implication that there are no members of the working class in NYC, in contrast to the tough environs of Humboldt County, is odd. Unless his notion of working class requires its members be white.

Doug