Buchanan on Fulani

Patrick Bond pbond at wn.apc.org
Sun Nov 14 22:32:28 PST 1999

To coin a phrase, "We're # 1!"

South Africa, I understand, has moved ahead of Brazil in the Gini race. One figure I heard recently (but possibly too high to be reliable), was 0.69 (Brazil was around 0.63; SA was around 0.61 for quite some time). This is after the ANC has come to power, but more precisely after the (1989) conversion of the SA Department of Finance and Reserve Bank to neoliberalism, with massive corporate tax cuts, the introduction of regressive Value Added Tax and the highest interest rates in SA's history (both amplified since 1994, we must ashamedly report).

On 14 Nov 99, at 23:09, Peter Kilander wrote:
> Point three: There are other "democracies" with greater income diparities
> than the U.S.
Patrick Bond (Wits University Graduate School of Public and Development Management) home: 51 Somerset Road, Kensington 2094, Johannesburg office: 22 Gordon Building, Wits University Parktown Campus mailing address: PO Box 601 WITS 2050 phones: (h) (2711) 614-8088; (o) 488-5917; fax 484-2729 emails: (h) pbond at wn.apc.org; (o) bondp at zeus.mgmt.wits.ac.za