Where the Fascists Are

Brett Knowlton brettk at unica-usa.com
Tue Nov 16 10:57:17 PST 1999

I obviously wasn't clear enough in my last post.

I know what the definition of fascism is. But the term is usually bandied about without much caution, and often used inappropriately.

For example, I've heard virtually every American president since WWII called a fascist. But none of them were. Yes, there are similarities. But none of them wanted state control of the economy - they represented business control of the government, to highlight one difference.

Maybe this isn't a big deal. But I think you risk losing credibility with people when you use such loaded terms loosely.

Brett