Left anti-semites , Marxist Minstrels, and Enver Hoxha, Oh My!

rc-am rcollins at netlink.com.au
Sun Nov 21 20:14:22 PST 1999

michael wrote:

> annotated bibliography, draws out Lyndon's thoughts on Spinoza, if memory
> serves. And that was years before Deleuze or Negri had their Spinoza
> books translated here, hmm!)

and if marx also delved into spinoza, would that warrant a 'hmm'?

> Yoshie accused of pro-Enver Hoxha tendenencies by Angela! I missed
> that one

embarasssed to say, i was wrong; but i'm not reading la rouche for penance. should those who also get it wrong by drawing unlikely associations (or at least mumbled innuendoes) because of similar readings lists also be embarassed?

>Lastly, I'd recommend apropos the anti-semitism thread a new book
by
> Alain Finkelkraut, "The Future Of A Negation: Reflections On The Question
Of
> Genocide," Univ. of Nebraska Press. It is mainly on the French La Vielle
> Taupe circle and Italian Bordigist "Internationalist Communist Left
> "ultra-leftists who support Holocaust "Revisionism" out of a noxious
> version of "anti-fascist" anti-capitalism.

i'm sure it's telling. is this the same finkelraut (see below,an excerpt from seminar notes on racism in france)? if it is, it simply confirms what i said about three posts ago: people will find all manner of ways to express what they perceive to be a respectable form of racism, even when they're apparently doing so from an anti-racist position, as in his comments on the "Germanic guilty conscience" when responding to handke's defense of those plucky serbs. (a side note: as far as i know, debray and finkelraut went for eachother's throats over whether or not to support the NATO bombing of yugoslavia, with finkelraut for. is that right?) but i'm not familiar with finkelraut. does he do stuff on levinas or somesuch?

"There is a key incident in recent French history that exposes the fear, confusion and racism that so often clouds debates in France on immigration and assimilation - l'affaire du foulard islamique. In October 1989 three Muslim girls (two of Moroccan origin, the other Tunisian) were suspended from a state school in Creil near Paris for wearing Islamic headscarves. The school headmaster, Ernest Chenière, considered that the wearing of Islamic headscarves went directly against the principle of laïcité, a key Republican concept that insists on the separation of the state - including its schools - from religious institutions. This decision came to the attention of SOS-Racisme and the Mouvement contre le racisme et pour l'amitié des peuples (MRAP) who called upon the then French Minister of Education, Lionel Jospin, to intervene and overturn the susension order. Jospin did so quickly in an attempt to defuse the affair but it was already too late. Things had gone too far and l'affaire des foulards islamiques had became the key issue that dominated the end of France's bicentenary year and beyond. Both the right and, interestingly, the left entered the fray to condemn Jospin's decision and support Chenière's original suspension in the name of the French Republican tradition of laïcité. Intellectuals like Régis Debray and Alain Finkelkraut likened Jospin's decision to France and Britain's appeasement of Nazi Germany, making a comparison between the growth of Islam in France and the rise of the Third Reich. The other intellectual who entered the fray was Bernard-Henri Lévy who described the headmaster's action as a victory for the enlightenment over the forces of darkness, obscurantism and the oppression of women."

Angela _________