Chechnya: response to Russian invasion?

elena spectra at elits.rousse.bg
Wed Oct 6 12:21:00 PDT 1999

http://www.gazeta.ru/naemniki.html (today's Gazeta) title : Hired Soldiers for Chechnya Are Being Trained in Azerbaidzhan (in the header summary: very rough translation): Acc to military reconnaissance [Ru], over 50 Arab paid soldiers arrived in just a couple of days (3-5 Oct) and in just a single camp of Khattab's near Urus-Martan. All of them managed to get to Chechnya passing through Georgia, which means, that Chechnya's blockade was unsuccessful. This questions the possibility that one of the main tasks of the military campaign will be carried out - the physical destruction of gang formations and their leaders. Besides, Russian reconn. services have information that semi-military camps have been founded on the territory of Azerbaidzhan by at least 3 well-known fundamentalist Islaamic organisations.

The only reference in Johnson's #3546 (unless i missed smth) (#10 Russia's Sobyanin Says No Need for State of Emergency Rossiyskaya Gazeta 2 October 1999: Interview with Sergey Sobyanin, chairman of the Federation Council Committee for Constitutional Legislation and Judicial and Legal Matters and chairman of the Legislative Assembly of the Khanty-Mansiysk Autonomous Okrug, by Anna Kozyreva under the "Standpoint" rubric; date and place not given: "We Will Do Without a State of Emergency" ........ [Sobyanin] First and foremost, political will. Incidentally, it was precisely to demonstrate such will that the Federation Council met in extraordinary session. At a time when our endurance is being tested all political forces must forget their feuds and support the government in the fight against terrorism. International terrorist organizations successfully operate in many countries, including the United States. International terrorists are extremely difficult to combat. They have their own bases and they obtain considerable financial aid from terrorist centers. Combating them will take us years not months. This has to be clearly understood. What is to be done? First and foremost, it is necessary to strengthen our own border to prevent it being possible for bandit formations to be freely supplied here with munitions. And yet even the Chechnya-Georgia section of our state border has not been strengthened. There you have an open door for both gunmen and weapons to penetrate.

> What I was trying to get a handle on is
>whether anyone knew of any movement outside of the axis of Russian troops
>vs. Chechnyan rebel troops, particularly since the pending invasion is
>merely going to strengthen that axis.
>
>Peter
Not exactly an answer to your question, Peter, but, rather, a new question added: is the "internationalising" of the Chechen-Russian conflict to be read as a spin, or panic, or younameit else? There wasn't anything on Stratfor last time I checked; first appeared in GazetaRu, then got mentioned in the main news-bulletin on ORT tonight.

>I personally don't give a fig whether Chechnyans live within the Russian
>state, some independant Chechnyan state, or on Mars. That's not the
>starting point of my analysis
Not sure what you mean - do you mean that the Ru-Chechnya conflict is ethnising a social issue and your/any analysis should dismantle that first?

Elena

moya hata s krayu....