Hate crimes

Fri Oct 15 12:23:35 PDT 1999

>>> <kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca> 10/15/99 02:54PM >>>

I'm teaching a course right now and the final assignment revolves around an examination of hate speech...

-clip- I'd appreciate any additional materials the might be helpful for either myself or students in regards to this issue. What is hate speech? What are the limits of freedom? What is justice?

(((((((((

Charles: I have an article I wrote I can send you if you give me your address. My interest in the issue derives from working with Angela Davis. Davis was a student of Herbert Marcuse. Here is a recent post by Michael Hoover on another list on an essay by Marcuse on the general topic:

> Didn't Moore co-author(co-edit?)a work with Marcuse and R.Paul Wolff
> *The Critique of Pure Tolerance*? Michael Hoover will know.
> Sam Pawlett

Not sure why you think I'd know above, but so happens that I do. Wolff ("Beyond Tolerance"), Moore ("Tolerance and the Scientific Outlook"), and Marcuse ("Repressive Tolerance") each contribute one essay to _A Critique of Pure Tolerance_ (1965). They collectively agree that liberal *tolerance* hides political agendas and realities while they disagree, particularly Moore and Marcuse, about role of intellectuals in unmasking hypocrisy (perhaps revealing contradictions is better phrase). Former maintains that they should seek truth (suggeting that nothing is beyond investigation in manner that recalls Marx's comment in letter to Ruge about ruthless critique of everything) sans commitment to political action/ideas/project. Latter attacks those who refuse to take a stand. Specifically, Marcuse calls for intolerance (I think term he uses is 'discriminating tolerance') against status quo that promotes violence, destruction, and misery.

Marcuse and Moore were friends, their relationship dated to WW2 when both worked as OSS analysts. Michael Hoover

I'd also appreciate on-line resources that might be appropriate to hand out to students...

The Internet Anti-Fascist put out by Paul Kniesel regularly

back issues archived via:

<ftp://ftp.nyct.net/pub/users/tallpaul/publish/tinaf/>

CB