What the heck?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Oct 21 10:20:29 PDT 1999

Jordan Hayes wrote:

>Using my Doug Henwood inverse filter, I just bought January OEX
>calls; the January effect this year is gonna be huge, at least 10%
>I'd say, and to paraphrase the Lakota, it's a good day to be long!

Jordan, once again you resort to this calumny! I haven't been a permabear since I learned my lesson from the 1987 crash. I've even taken lots of abuse from left permabears for betraying the cause. I sounded an almost-in-the-clear on the Asian crisis months before Alan Greenspan and Michel Camdessus did. I deliberately held back from writing anything about stock market madness in LBO until April of this year. I said nothing bearish in Wall Street - I even got an email from a reader who asked me how I felt about being the 1990s Marxish analogue of Irving "Stocks Have Reached A Permanently High Plateau" Fisher in the 1920s. I've endured the indignity of being denounced as an apologist for imperialism by Lou Proyect & Mark Jones. And now this.

I hope your calls expire worthless.

Doug