LaRouche

Jim heartfield jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Sat Sep 18 17:45:20 PDT 1999

In message <v0421010fb40981733a95@[166.84.250.86]>, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> writes
>Does radical politics in countries other than the U.S. attract the
>same quantity of cultists and damaged people?

I think so, in fact aren't most of us people on this list just a little odd if only by our enthusiasm. Marx disbanded the First International by the subterfuge of relocating it in New York because it was being choked up with German émigrés obsessed with their émigré politics. Most left wing groups have a capacity to degenerate into sects just because they are swimming against the stream. A preparedness to reject all official information as ideology easily generates into cult-like belief systems. The left necessarily competes with mainstream society for its supporters, and that often means that people are motivated by the weirdest grudges and obsessions. Best not to worry about it in the general case, but just ridicule it in the specifics.

-- Jim heartfield