'Alienation' & Translation (was Re: Adorno & Translation)

Dennis R Redmond dredmond at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Sun Sep 19 17:54:23 PDT 1999

On Sun, 19 Sep 1999, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> objectification? I read somewhere that not just _Entfremdung_ but also
> _Entäusserung_ is translated as alienation. What is the difference in
> connotation between the two words? And what about _Entäusserung_ and
> _Vergegenständlichung_?

As a rule, Entfremdung means alienation; Entaeusserung means concretization, disclosure, with the connotation of a subjectively-mediated objectification. Big difference. Vergegenstaendlichung means a straightforward objectification of something, with the connotation of realization, the making-real-of-something.

-- Dennis