NY Times v. Nader

Nathan Newman nathan.newman at yale.edu
Thu Aug 3 08:20:53 PDT 2000

On Thu, 3 Aug 2000, Doug Henwood wrote:

> >Invoking Nader's recently disclosed $4 million in assets,
>
> Including $1.2 million in Cisco stock, a company that pays little or
> no federal income tax. Imagine if, say, Gore or Bush were found to
> have such a holding!

Actually, I do find it a bit disconcerting that Nader has done so much technology advocacy work with such a large portfolio in the industry. Cisco is not a clear anti-Microsoft partisan or a company as likely to directly benefit from Nader's anti-Microsoft work, but there is the argument that Cisco benefits from a decentralized industry where it is the only monopoly left standing.

Although you got to admire Nader's investment strategies - bluechip technology all the way with no dotcoms, probably the safest highest-return investments in the last few years.

-- Nathan Newman