The Evil of Two Lessers?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Aug 8 07:04:25 PDT 2000

Nathan Newman wrote:

>Quite true. And to the extent that Lieberman shares Clinton's general
>policies (which he does), voting for Lieberman is like getting Clinton
>while condemning him - the ultimate having your cake and eating it too.
>Or so Gore hopes at least :)

But, damn, I still think one of the few positive achievements of the Clinton years was handing a decisive defeat to the moral police. And now we have fucking Jerry Falwell praising Lieberman as an "excellent choice." So we've got a born-again Christian and an Orthodox Jew on the Dem ticket, and the proclaimer of Jesus Day in Texas leading the Republican - and hair-shirt Ralph and the Catholic crypto-fascist Buchanan as our leading alternatives. Is this some collective expiation for the wretched excess of the 90s boom?

Doug