UAW and Gore-Lieberman (RE: Lieberman's Record (RE: The Evil of Two

Nathan Newman nathan.newman at yale.edu
Wed Aug 9 14:01:34 PDT 2000

On Wed, 9 Aug 2000, Max Sawicky wrote:

> Thanks for the dope. What I was most curious
> about was where the UE and UAW differed, in terms
> of what the right vote was, and what the most
> important votes were.

Off the UAW web site, here was their scorecard for Lieberman (they include the tax cuts and bankruptcy votes from UE, but not NAFTA for Africa, NEA or the pay raise).

Votes / 1. NLRB Funding / 2. OSHA Funding / 3. Minimum Wage No. 1 / 4. Minimum Wage No. 2 x 5. Steel Quotas / 6. Patients' Bill of Rights / 7. Medicare / 8. Budget Plan / 9. Tax Cuts / 10. Labor-HHS Funding / 11. Redlining / 12. Judicial Nominee / 13. Bankruptcy -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- / Agreed with the UAW's position 12 time(s). x Disagreed with UAW's Position 1 time(s).

Also, UAW endorsed Gore today, so might as well post their reasons-

For Release: Tuesday, August 8, 2000

UAW Endorses Gore for President

The UAW International Executive Board today announced it has unanimously voted to endorse Vice President Al Gore for President of the United States.

On behalf of the Executive Board, UAW President Stephen P. Yokich issued the following statement:

"During the course of this campaign, we have taken a long, hard look at the presidential candidates' positions and their programs for America's future. While two candidates have offered progressive, pro-working family programs, it is clear that only one of the progressive candidates can win this election-and that's Al Gore.

"On the economy, workers' rights, education, Social Security and Medicare, the environment, and other issues of concern to working families, Al Gore is on our side.

"Al Gore believes that unions play an essential role in the economic and political life of America. Unlike George W. Bush, Al Gore understands that our economy works best when working men and women have a real say in the workplace. As president, he will work to strengthen the right of American workers to organize and bargain collectively--and to outlaw the use of permanent striker replacements.

"Al Gore has been a key member of the team that helped bring the U.S. economy back to health after the stagnation and record-shattering budget deficits of the Bush-Quayle years. As president, Al Gore will work day and night to make sure that every American is lifted by the rising tide of economic growth. In contrast, George W. Bush offers nothing more or less than a replay of the voodoo economics of the 1980's--a trillion-dollar-plus tax cut that would make the rich richer at the expense of working families.

"Al Gore will fight to strengthen Social Security, and he has sensible plan to help low-and middle-income Americans save for their retirement years. All George W. Bush offers is a half-baked scheme to partially privatize Social Security--a plan that not only would cut benefits for future retirees but would put Social Security itself at risk.

"Al Gore will work to make quality health care affordable and accessible for every American. He's proposed a sensible plan to strengthen Medicare and to provide health care coverage for millions of children and prescription drug coverage for millions of older Americans. In contrast, it was only last week in Philadelphia that George W. Bush discovered that the high cost of prescription drugs was a serious problem for older Americans.

"Al Gore shares our belief that every person deserves the opportunity to go as far as their abilities and hard work will take them. That's why he's committed to making sure that all our children have the opportunity to get the best possible education--and that every American has the opportunity to continue learning and developing new skills throughout their lives.

"Al Gore's lifelong commitment to opportunity and social justice for all people stands in sharp contrast to the sorry records of George W. Bush and his running mate, Dick Cheney. Last week in Philadelphia, Governor Bush talked the talk of social justice and human dignity. But just a few short months ago when the going got tough in the South Carolina primary, he was reading from a very different script. As for Mr. Cheney, his record in Congress speaks for itself.

"That's not to say that we agree with Al Gore on every issue; obviously we don't. It's no secret that we disagree--and disagree sharply--on NAFTA and on granting China permanent normal trade relations. Yet even on trade where we don't see eye to eye, Al Gore is better--much better--than George W. Bush.

"As president, Al Gore will insist that human rights, workers' rights, and environmental protections are included in core trade agreements. He is committed to vigorously use existing trade laws to protect American workers and industries against dumping and other unfair trade practices. And he's committed to take action to reduce the automotive trade deficit. In contrast, George W. Bush believes that human rights, workers' rights and environmental standards have no place in trade agreements; on this issue, as on so many others, Bush has turned his back on working Americans.

"UAW members and their families can make a critical difference in this election with their grassroots political action and their votes. The UAW will go all out to help Al Gore win this election and keep America moving forward."

The UAW represents 1.3 million active and retired members; the union's membership is concentrated in the key presidential battleground states.