what are gini coefficients?

J. Barkley Rosser, Jr. rosserjb at jmu.edu
Fri Aug 18 14:11:24 PDT 2000

Charles,

To follow up on Doug's remarks (thanks for the wealth gini, :-)), and to fully answer your "bounds" question, well, the bounds are very extreme. We have seen some very egalitarian societies in world history, whose ginis were never measured, but would probably have been much lower than the 16 in the PRC. Heck, zero is the lower bound, indicating absolute equality (not a goal of pure communism, I might add; we do not all have the same "needs").

At the other extreme, try Pharaonic Egypt, or Britain in the nineteenth century. Ginis can never reach one, and decile ratios have no upper bound. All kinds of extreme inequality are possible and many have happened. Barkley Rosser -----Original Message----- From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Date: Friday, August 18, 2000 3:59 PM Subject: Re: what are gini coefficients?