Disarming the Struggle AgaiAIDS: Anti-Science Obscurantism, Conpsiracy Theories

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 5 12:42:10 PST 2000

On the contrary, I took your views on whiteness seriously because they were interesting and suggestive, although I thought, not quite right. But AIDS denial is like holocaust denial; it's lunacy.

The problem when someone like in power like Mbeki engages in it is that affects people; your ideas merely express your own views. Mbeki's being off-the-wall has nothing to do with his being African; I am sure I don't know why he refuses to accept what every responsible scientist and doctor things, and all the other African leaders as well.

Your response here reinforcing my sense that your are engaging in radical chic: what's the matter, white people cannot criticize black Africans if they say foolish and (in his case) dangerous things, that's racism? I think that George W. Bush's doubts about global warming are equally foolish and probably more pernicious, since W. looks to be the next Prez. It is terrible, in Mbeki's case, where the leadership of what is after all a victorious national liberation effort who is, dammit, supposed to know better, lets down millions of desperately ill poor people. Don't you thing?

In any case, you are a white boy too, so that particular epithet gets us nowhere. It's a case of the chalk calling the snow white. --jks

_____________________________________________________________________________________ Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com