Gore Gives up

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Wed Dec 13 12:29:58 PST 2000

I wouldn't try to start a rewrite of the Constitution until the political culture, institutions, and power relations made improvement a likely outcome.

OTOH, talking about what a better Constitution would look like would help to bring about such a situation.

mbs

The Court's one thing, the Constitution's another. This was an incredibly lawless act. Bush I & II are the Dred Scott decision of democracy, disenfranching a whole state, and indeed us all, on what any lawyer will tell you are unbelievably lawless grounds. The Court's reasoning is risible. I mean, if someone submitted it as a Con Law exam, she or he would fail. I

predicted, silly me, that the Court would not take the case because I thought that even a conservative Court had a certain amount of professional self-respect. The law of the case was obvious. There was no substantial federal question. There was not what any court in history hitherto would call an equal protection violation. This Court will be infamous. It deserves infamy.

The possibility of its infamy was created by several bizarre and antiquated features of the Constitution, notaby the electoral college. But that doesn't mean that the Constitution as a whole is a bad thing. Equal protection is a good idea, for example. Anyway, I share with Michael concerns about what would happen if you opened up the can of worms of a constitutional convention. Look what happened last time--we got this document!

--jks

____________________________________________________________________________ _________ Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com