Gore Gives up

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Dec 13 13:22:29 PST 2000

Max Sawicky wrote:

>I wouldn't try to start a rewrite of the Constitution
>until the political culture, institutions, and power
>relations made improvement a likely outcome.

But as any student of Dan Lazare knows, the Constitution bears a heavy responsibility for the primitive political culture in the U.S. The conscious checks on democracy, for one, and the reliance on Constitutional "guarantees" leading to a complacent demobilization for two. So you can't address the political culture without addressing the Constitution.

Doug