armed secret police stage hostile march on white house in uniform?

Anita Mage mage at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Sun Dec 17 12:01:19 PST 2000

Hi Yoshie -

you query:

>Are you a jeans & sweatshirts guy, John, aside from lawyerly suits?

Oh, with all due respect for his great efforts as a dandy in the underworld known as the US legal system, but I can't remember the last time i saw my uncle in a lawyerly suit. maybe in the late 80s. otoh, we haven't attended any weddings or funerals or the like together in years.

though we've been to the opera a lot. Once we went to see Tales of Hoffmann at the Komische Oper (hey, another machinic femme phantasma for your collection - and i've been meaning to mention Oskar Panizza "Die Menschenfabrik" to you in this regard as well) and iirc, to that performance john did wear a decent cable-knit sweater. a nice production, btw, with projections of the 1920s Oskar Schlemmer scenery superimposed upon the stage.

in our family fashion's been a touchy issue ever since my great grandmother's brother Jacques organized the workers in their brother's shirt factory and led them out on strike. Great granduncle Oscar was so enraged at his brother that he paid Jacques a lifelong stipend never to show his face again.

>Before this post I had entertained a sexual prejudice of sorts and
>pictured you in understated yet sharp & stylish outfits -- to go with
>the style of your writing.

well, i can assure you he looks dashing in his pashmina sweatshirt, knickers retailored from lawyerly suit trousers, and the black cap we picked up at a mall in vilna.

Anita