Now What?

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Wed Dec 27 08:41:33 PST 2000

Now What? Issue #13 (December 2000) Throughout the interminable U.S. election mess, the various radical listserves I follow were pointedly quiet about the whole affair. But even without much discussion about the tussles within America's ruling class, there's been a sense in which we outside-the-system types have been on hold, waiting to see which of the two evils would prevail.

Now finally we can move on to pressing matters, like the tantalizing inauguration protests already being planned for January 20 in Washington, D.C. There's never been such a legitimation crisis in our lifetimes. Or such a sterling opportunity to show our disaffection with the many faces of plutocratic rule: the disenfranchisement of African-American voters in Florida; the role of big money in elections; the corporate domination of our political system; and the insult of having an idiotic twerp and serial executioner installed as president.

Meanwhile, activist preparations are well underway for "the next big thing," the Summit of the Americas meeting next April in Quebec City, where the heads of every state from Canada to Argentina (minus Cuba, of course) will gather to negotiate a free-trade agreement aptly called "NAFTA on steroids."

<...> http://www.free-radical.org/issue13.shtml

The Structure of White Power and the Color of Election 2000 http://www.arc.org/C_Lines/CLArchive/story_web00_05.html

Supreme Court Tramples on Civil Rights Activists' Graves http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=10204

Great printable posters for the Inauguration protests http://www.bradkayal.com/i20/