imprisonment of Egon Krenz

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Mon Jan 17 23:33:21 PST 2000

At 10:45 17/01/00 +0100, you wrote:

>Chris,
>the success of the march does not contradict my initial assesment:
>- the PDS leadership has been acting like the deputy sheriffs for the
>police, instead as opposing the police provocation.
>- thus the PDS presented themself as a 'responsible' force, fit to rule in
>Germany
>- and capable of containing any left-wing forces.
>Watch out for more symbolic and programmatic steps by the PDS to clean the
>party of anything 'left'.
>On the other hand they have to be careful not to antagonize completly the
>Stalinist pensioneers that are the core of their so-called 'Communist
>Platform'. For this purpose they have to publish empty press statements,
>like the one you posted on the imprisonment of Egon Krenz.
>Johannes

What left wing statement on the imprisonment of Egon Krenz would have been meaningful?

I do not mean an abstractly correct marxist theoretical analysis. I mean in the context of a party standing for elections in the bourgeois parliament. I thought the PDS pitched it pretty usefully. Perhaps you know of a better position statement?

Chris Burford

London