uncanny parallels, revisited

Daniel F. Vukovich vukovich at uiuc.edu
Mon Jan 24 23:31:48 PST 2000

Yes in thunder, to all counts. But *Shenfan* is perhaps equally important-- the "sequel" of sorts, published in 83, via Vintage P -- as it deals with post-rev. PRC (specifically Long Bow village). Writing under a different, more polemical, if not also romantic temperment, there is Jan Myrdal's stuff on China -- esp *Report from a Chinese Village* and *Return to...*. I would say he is somewhere b/w Snow and Hinton-- which is no slight to Snow, I hope. I believe there is a recent bio. on Snow. Anna Louise Strong and Agnes Smedley are also great reads on or "from" revolutionary China. One wishes that Hinton shall live for another hundred years, and that a hundred more would bloom. Reading "leftist" stuff (incl. reportage) on contemporary China, you might think that there is no "countryside" there at all, and that this, still some 70+% of China, were a less important place than the cities and "the" urban working class.

De Long is, of course, wrong. See Bramall or, for that matter, Hinton in Great Reversal; "income disparity," poverty and surplus labor, deracination, environmental disaster, and other problems have been addressed by several ppl. in collections of essays on rural China. But the right and liberals have, of course, figured out that there is still a countryside in China. Needless to say they arent from a Maoist, but by and large from a still pro-reform -- free marketeer-- agenda. I dont have the time to dig up the cites, but they exist, at least in libraries. Not that he himself is sincerely interested. If I am not mistaken there is even an IMF apparatchik with last name of Taylor who makes it pretty clear the rural reform has been v. bad on labor; i.e., aside from the bourgeoning middle-classes. (I am assuming they still burgeon, and that that was the correct way to put it in the first place; Hinton might disagree here).

A collection by either P Nolan and/or (?) Ash has mainstream stuff to the point here. (I claim no expertise here, just more than de long view) Pace de long, such crap generalizations, in re reform, aren't made so easily in the field itself. Most still love the market of course (and it is always _the_ market as such, which they love, as the specific ones are either a mess or still controlled by the baddies), but the Real pops up enough in their heads and essays, to make them give a nuanced picture of harsh realities. Of course, I must be a post-modernist who has the cheek to think "standard of living" is not a scientific, or even a transparent concept.

PS to Michael P in re Agnes Heller. Ive only read _Everyday Life_ & that some three-4 years ago, but it struck me as the best book on the subject, by which I mean the most ponderous and scholarly and weighty. This is in contrast to Henri Lefebvre, whose book (the first vol, the only one of 3 in English trans I think) on the Critique of Everydaylife, was also great, if a bit of a ramble. Heller is exceedingly smart, and I would love to sit down and read more of her work-- esp on the philosophy of history. Someone needs to write a theory of culture, i.e., someone coming out of the everyday life "tradition." Though I think Lefebvre or Heller might well already have done so, between their pages.

--dfv

------------------------------------------------------ Daniel F. Vukovich Dept. of English; The Unit for Criticism University of Illinois Urbana, IL 61801 ------------------------------------------------------