anti-communism or Mike as the Last of the Mohicans

Tom Lehman TLehman at lor.net
Wed Jul 12 20:25:44 PDT 2000

Going back into the 1930's, I think Pitt always had kind of a left-labor reputation and I think this drove the super-rich in the Pittsburgh area to distraction. The poor western PA super-rich couldn't get a lot of aide and comfort from the local intellectual yokels at Pitt who were rumored to be communists and they had to suffer a lot of dubious advice from their standpoint.

I think this all started to change in the 60's when a local super-rich family bought a former trade school for Steelworkers and put their money into turning the place into a university. This put pressure on Pitt to shape up to super-rich standards. Then Pitt wanted new buildings too and Pitt had financial problems. So naturally keeping the super-rich patrons happy became more of a priority.

I also think that when one of the super-rich Pitt graduates, from the same family who owned the other University, turned reactionary in the 60's after the suicide of his political runnin' buddy didn't help matters any either.

As you may remember some of my union friends and acquaintances were getting arrested protesting our South African policies around the time you wrote this story. Some were and are big names in our union and they got to spend the obligatory night in jail for their good efforts for social and economic justice.

One of the big problems as I see it, and this goes for around the nation too, is that schools like Pitt and the former trade school turned university, spend too much of their time trying to please their patrons. Rather than giving sound if unwelcome advice from a super-rich or corporate standpoint.

Tom